Monday 3 January 2022

Some Goodreads Reviews





Overall, 79 reviews of "On Angel Mountain"-- average 4.2 stars out of 5. I'm quite pleased with that -- and you will never get unanimity or universal praise for a work of historical fiction, especially where readers are coming at something cold and have never heard of the author before....... On the other hand, where big authors and well-known titles are concerned, there is a predisposition to "like" something and to trust the judgment of those who have gone before you.........

===================

Andrea Atkinson rated it -- it was amazing
This book was recommended to me by a friend who knew I was interested in the Welsh language, history and culture. I fell in love with Mistress Martha Morgan very early on in the story. Not only is it an exciting read but also rich in historical detail, folklore and culture. The descriptive passages are beautifully written by someone who obviously knows and loves the area. I can't wait to read the rest of the series.

Mrs Barbara Guard rated it -- it was amazing
A great read full of romance, disaster and intrigue
I loved this book and have just read it for the second time. Living in Pembrokeshire meant that many of the places are familiar, even the fictitious ones! Brian John has clearly carefully researched the social history of the time and made much of the work believable.
I look forward to reading the other 7 novels in the saga.

Elaine McCulloch rated it -- really liked it
Not my normal read, wouldn't have picked it up but read it with my local book club, and really enjoyed it, set locally to where I live. Had my heart in my mouth towards the end.

Michael Carter rated it -- it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and proceeded to read the entire series. The chracter of Martha Morgan is a little improbable but her incredible strength is what endures and makes the series possible and so is entirely forgivable. It is written in a diary format but Martha is the type of person that thinks deeply and empathises, giving other characters (even her enemies) plenty of meat.
Her turning up in historical events (rather like the hundred year old man) is written a little tongue in cheek and is very entertaining.
As well as being enjoyable the story (and indeed, the series) is very informative as to Welsh history, and along with detailed geographical description gives a real sense of place.
There are many other well developed characters that add to the texture of the story and local traditions provide many situations in which they develop.
I did sometimed feel the story was tinged with a bit too much tragedy particularly if it seemed gratuitous. Overall though, a thoroughly reccomended series

Beni Morse rated it -- really liked it
I come from this part of the world and I think this is an excellent portrait of the West Walian landscape and community. Not too keen on historical novels generally but this is a great yarn and the narrative is well handled and (by and large) believable. The guy who wrote it comes from the area and clearly has a deep connection with this part of the world. This comes across in the novel.
Also, when he first wrote it, he published it himself and took copies round local bookshops in the back of his car. Later it got taken up by a publisher (Transworld I think?) and there are several follow up novels which have also sold well.

Pauline Evans rated it -- really liked it
A historical novel and part of a saga beginning in 1796. I noticed it in a bookshop in Newport, Pembrokeshire, the county where I grew up from the age of 10. I was drawn to it because it is set around Carningli Mountain near Newport where all my husbands ancestors are from. I loved reading about the mountain I have climbed many times and all the surrounding places I have visited over the years and know so well. A good read for historical novel fans!

Erika rated it -- really liked it
Very good book that was recommended to me and it was good. Set in a diary format following a young lady, Martha Morgan, at a farm in West Wales. Very good characterisations of Welsh characters set in 1797. Loved some of the names like Lewis Legal! Overall a good story, and interesting to read how the main character grows up over the course of the book. Also interesting to read about local customs and traditions at that period in time.

Pat rated it -- it was amazing
I loved this book from the off and have read all the series. Can't recommend them highly enough, for sheer beauty of the place, the magical qualities of the tale, the vividly portrayed characters and the historical setting, which made me feel they were all real people involved in the unfolding drama.

Melissa rated it -- it was amazing
My mother-in-law sent this book (first of 8) to me from Wales. It's a wonderful bit of historical fiction, complete with mystery, romance, and rich characters. I can't wait to read the rest of the series!



No comments: