Monday 27 August 2018

Some Amazon reviews



It's ages since I checked on the book reviews appearing on the Amazon web site.  These are not by professional reviewers but by ordinary readers, who have not even been invited to write anything.  Some of the books have just got five-star reviews, and the average across all of the books is also five-star, although it is almost inevitable that even the very best books will occasionally have readers who cannot relate to them.  Feeling pleased!

======================

Totally brilliant! (Bob White)
This book is a moving and gripping evocation of historical West Wales. The portrayal of Martha is psychologically coherent and magnetic. It is rare to find such a well drawn and complex character in modern fiction. It has all the elements a modern reader could wish for: pacey narrative, intrigue, villains, and historical and local detail. (Stephen S)
The unexpected first book of an amazing saga. I became totally absorbed in the characters. (Richard Carley)
I just loved this book - made me very anti-social as I just couldn't put it down. (LJM)
All the characters came alive off the page and that was down to the excellent writing. (Anon)
Martha is a woman who I would love to have known. Brian's style of writing is fresh and original. (Denise Strong)
This book tells you about a missing segment of Martha Morgan's life, and spellbinds you to the finish. (JR Morrison)
Brian John's Angel mountain series is wonderful. This was his last book in the series and I enjoyed it as much as the first. (Marlene Tapscott)
Once again loved this book -- read the whole series now. (“Insure”)
This is a great series. (Genegenee)
Brilliant - covering all emotions and ups and downs of peoples' lives during this era of life in Wales. (Geoff Gosling)
I haven't read better books for a long time. (Richard Hollick)
Fabulous series of books. Very well written set in a wonderful part of the world. (Anna Crowther)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book - every bit as good as all the other Angel Mountain Saga books. (Paula Heard)
Another totally gripping tale from Brian John. He writes with such credibilty that it's hard to believe that Plas Ingli and its occupants are all fictional. The historical element is equally fascinating, and I have been completely convinced each time I read the novels in this amazing saga. (Amelia Davieson)
It's a story that stayed with me for weeks after I finished reading it, I just couldn't stop thinking about it. (Alison)
Incredible story set in Pembrokeshire West Wales, of the sruggle, loves and lives of Martha and her family living on Angel Mountain near Newport. I can't wait to read the rest of the saga. I was desolate when I finished the book. (Tracey)
This is an incredibly well written debut novel that had me yearning for more. (Peter G)
It is a surprise that this book has been written by a man. I could not wait to read the next book in the Saga. It should come as no surprise that I read all five books in the saga in under 3 weeks!!! (Diana Vickers)
A fantastic story that I dare not try to explain and a strong reccomendation from me to all readers. (James Sutton)
This book is a joy to read. It has a great plot and is full of 3-D characters. (Anon)
A delightful, sympathetic tale with all sorts of unexpected twists and turns. (Anon)
A well constructed piece of writing keeping the reader wanting to know more. (Marlene Tapscott)
Brilliant story, a great great story from Martha Morgan’s diary based on her true story, an emotional rollercoaster you must read. (Tina Gliddon)
The pace did not let up until the end. I read the book in less than a day and would only say it left me wanting more. (Diana Vickers)
Another great, unputdownable read by Brain John. Old and new characters come to life in his thought provoking and clever sequel to the brilliant Angel Mountain stories. (Denise Strong)
This is an excellent book which recounts the further adventures of Mistress Martha Morgan of Plas Ingli -- who is now firmly established as one of the most interesting heroines in recent historical fiction. (Anon)
Fascinating series. Every time I pick up to read a chapter I fail to put it down and must just read the next chapter and then the next. (Avril Reynolds)
Brilliant story, based on true life in the 1800s, gripping and emotional. (Tina Gliddon)
This series is one of the most enjoyable I have ever read and I really cannot get it out of my mind, in fact I can’t believe it is fiction!! (PA Kevis)

No comments: