Tuesday 21 December 2010

Ice Cold on Carningli

Had another excellent walk on Carningli -- very icy underfoot, and lots of snow still present.  There was quite a cold southerly wind -- should have been coming from the north, but the mountain is a very contrary place.  Managed to tuck down under an overhanging rock for my thermos of hot cocoa -- it was quite cosy!  I noticed that the sheep do just the same -- I actually think they head UPHILL overnight and spend the hours of darkness tucked up against the rock faces and in little hollows sheltered from the wind.  Maybe it's more cosy than spending the night on the open common, lower down, where there is nothing to break the force of the wind.

Oh, and there was one raven up there besides me.  Mistress Martha, no doubt, keeping an eye on me....

No comments: