Friday 25 February 2011

Teatime in the Execution Chamber

There was very low cloud on Carningli yesterday, but I went up for a walk anyway -- and became enveloped in thick mist and rain on the top.  There was a south-westerly wind, and the only place where I could get some shelter was that rather spooky place which I refer to as the Execution Chamber.  (That's where a lady on one of my walks almost freaked out, and told me afterwords that it was a terrible place where people had been killed.......)

Since there is an Iron Age hillfort on the summit, and since the Iron Age people were rather brutal towards one another, it's inevitable that there must be some spot on the mountain where enemies would have been executed and maybe where human sacrifices were conducted.  It's just below the main summit, on the north side, on the track leading to the "village".

Anyway, I hunkered down and enjoyed my hot chocolate and nibbles in the shelter of an overhanging rock, out of the wind and rain -- and it was very pleasant indeed, with no moanings or howlings, and not a ghost to be seen anywhere.

No comments: