Tuesday 14 January 2020

Amazon Kindle -- a mixed blessing


The "theatre of war" where all the action takes place in my chiller thriller called "Acts of God"

I have been trying to unravel some of the mysteries of Kindle uploads via the Amazon Kindle web site.  The reason is that I discovered that the Kindle version of "Acts of God" was -- until a couple of days ago -- a complete mess.  It had lost its formatting, presumably because I uploaded it originally using the Amazon "Mobi" software,  which is now redundant.  Amazon has introduced something far easier to use -- called Kindle Create -- presumably because literally thousands of novice authors are putting their novels out on Kindle -- at zero cost -- in the hope of hitting the big time!  So here is a message for long-establisged authors.  Don't assume that because your novel looked good when you uploaded it ten years ago, it still looks good.  The formatting may have gone haywire because of these uploading developments and as reading devices themselves have become more sophisticated.

Anyway, after much messing about I'm beginning to get the hang of Kindle Create, and would prefer to trust that rather than using Apple's own Ebook creation software.  "Acts of God" has been re-formatted from a Word doc of the while book, and I think I have also got the hang of Contents List creation -- something that has generated a lot of discussion amongst frustrated authors on the discussion sites.  The Contents list is not created automatically -- you have to create it and insert it, and then make sure that all headings and subheadings are compatible with the list when it is generated.

Anyway, check out the new version.  It works for me -- I hope it works for you.....






No comments: