Friday 9 March 2012

Writer living dangerously .....

 Writer living dangerously.  On the left, the author who dared to write 8 novels using the "voice" of a woman.  On the right, his wife Inger, technical advisor on all things feminine.

A brief extract from the Q and A session on my web site:

Wasn’t it risky for you, as a man approaching retirement, to presume to speak as a pregnant, suicidal young woman from another age?

Very risky indeed.  But I had to do it, since that’s the way the story came to me.  So I swallowed hard and had to get on with it, for better or worse.  Luckily I seem to have got away with it, and many female readers have complimented me on the accuracy with which I have portrayed female moods and instincts.  Maybe that’s the female side of me coming out, or maybe it’s down to accurate observation of women over a long period of time!  But here I have to thank my wife Inger, who has been my chief critic and consultant on the female psyche.  She reads everything as soon as it is written, and does not hesitate to put me right on misjudgements large and small, and indeed on all things feminine.  I have to admit to some difficulties in writing the most intimate and erotic scenes in the five books, and also in describing a miscarriage as experienced by Martha herself.  No man can really understand the emotional turmoil and physical anguish involved.

No comments: